5 min. Introduction
15 min. Investigate Light
30 min. Create a Light Redirection System
10 min. Reflect
60 min. Total
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Set up sample obstacle course and Materials Table.
- Create a sample Light Redirection System.
HiRISE: High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment, a camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
LiDAR: Light detection and ranging, a technique using lasers to measure distance
Redirect: to change the direction of
System: a group of parts that work together
21st Century Skills Connection
Collaboration, Critical Thinking
Habits of Mind
- Use systems thinking
- Investigates properties and uses of materials
Youth investigate how mirrors can be placed to redirect the path of light to gather data from a distance.
What is the best way to redirect light to gather data from a distance?
Youth Will Do
- Explore and evaluate the properties of light.
- Determine how to place mirrors to redirect the path of light based on the properties of light.
- Evaluate their system to suggest improvements.
- Develop ideas for changing the design for better ability to redirect light.
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of their systems based on what they now know about light.
Youth Will Know
- Engineers design technologies that capture data.
- Mirrors can change the direction of light.