- 5 min. Introduction
- 20 min. Detect Minerals Using Sound
- 10 min. Detect Minerals Using Light, Part 1
- 20 min. Detect Minerals Using Light, Part 2
- 5 min. Reflect
60 min. Total
Prep Time: 10 min
Print and cut materials and set up Materials Table.
21st Century Skills Connection
Collaboration, Communication, Critical Thinking
Habits of Mind
- Innovate processes, methods, and design
Youth work to distinguish between minerals by processing data presented in different forms.
How can we gather remote sensing data to help scientists find out about minerals from a distance?
Youth Will Do
- Investigate how colored cellophane filters light to distinguish patterns.
- Design scraping technologies to distinguish between materials based on their textures.
- Develop ideas for combining technologies to collect data from a distance.
Youth Will Know
- Engineers design technologies that process complex data to make it easier to understand/use for different purposes.
- Materials have properties that make them better for some purposes than for others.
- Engineers must investigate the properties of materials to inform their design choices.
- Technologies can change how data is received and measured.