5 min. Introduction
10 min. Imagine and Plan
30 min. Create and Test
10 min. Reflect
55 min. Total
Prep Time: 60 min
If you have not yet done so, create model landscapes and (optional) Space Screens. Set up Materials Table.
This snapshot intended for quick reminders and is not a replacement of the guide. Be sure to use the guide for detailed preparation instructions and implementation scripts.
21st Century Skills Connection
Collaboration, Critical Thinking
Habits of Mind
- Consider problems in context
- Weigh the implications of solutions.
Youth work in groups to plan, create, and test remote sensing technologies that use the different technologies from the previous activities to gather data from a distance.
How can we create remote sensing technologies to gather different types of data from a distance?
Youth Will Do
- Design a technology that can help answer a scientific question.
- Use an engineering design process to guide themselves to a successful solution.
Youth Will Know
- Engineers use what they learn while investigating to inform their design decisions.
- Engineers often collaborate with scientists.
Videos Related to this Activity
Family Connections Story Prompt
- Can you tell me a story about an animal that was able to sense something you could not?
- Can you tell me a story about building something that was inspired by nature?
Connecting Across Activities
- In the previous Activities, youth explored different methods of remote sensing.
- In this Activity, youth combine those methods and use their engineering design process to design and test remote sensing devices.
- In Engineering Activity 5, they use what they learned to improve their devices.