20 min. Introduction
25 min. Video and Card Game
10 min. Reflect
55 min. Total
Prep Time: 30 min
- Invite a family or community member for this Activity.
- Copy cards for each group of 4.
NASA: the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Remote: far away or distant
Remote sensing: collecting information at a distance
Sensing: collecting or becoming aware of information
21st Century Skills Connection
Collaboration, Critical Thinking
Habits of Mind
- Apply science knowledge to problem solving.
- Investigate features and uses of tools.
Youth learn about the ways that scientists and engineers rely on each other during NASA missions by watching a video and playing a card matching game.
How do scientists and engineers work together on a NASA mission to learn about another planet without going there?
Youth Will Do
- Draw connections between questions asked by scientists and those asked by engineers.
Youth Will Know
- On NASA missions, engineers design technologies to help planetary scientists gather data to answer their questions.
- Remote sensing technologies gather data from a distance.
Videos Related to this Activity