5 min. Introduction
15 min. Investigating Mirrors
30 min. Periscope Activity
10 min. Reflect
60 min. Total
Prep should take about 15 minutes
* Post the Engineering Design Process poster.
* Set up a sample obstacle course according to Obstacle Course Setup, p. 31 in the Educator Guide.
* Create a Materials Table with the materials listed on p. 25 of the Educator Guide.
Periscope: A remote sensing technology that uses mirrors to change the path of light in order to see around an object
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Identify, Investigate, Create, and Test
Challenges youth to use multiple mirrors to see around obstacles and to create handheld periscopes.
* Consider assigning roles for group members to keep everyone focused on the challenge.
* If youth are familiar with these concepts, consider setting up the periscopes and obstacle course as stations where they can move freely between activities.
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today, we investigated the properties of light with mirrors. Scientists and Engineers use mirrors as a remote sensing technology to collect information from a distance.
Key Take Away
We can use mirrors to see objects from a distance and around obstacles.
Did you know?
NASA engineers use this same technology to send signals to the back side of the moon!