5 min. Introduction
25 min. Investigate
20 min. Secret Message
5 min. Reflect
55 min. Total
The Educator Guide has a script, materials list, and prep directions. Be sure to have it open and ready to help guide you through every activity.
* Post the Engineering Design Process poster.
* Draw the Optical Filter Investigations chart, p. 36 in the Educator Guide, on chart paper and post it near the EDP poster.
* Create a Materials Table with the materials listed on p. 25 of the Educator Guide.
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Youth explore how different colored filters work to hide or highlight other colors.
* It is very difficult to make indiscernible messages. Focus youth on the difference rather than trying to achieve a truly hidden message.
* If groups finish early, have them use extra folders and tape to combine their optical filters with familiar technologies, like glasses.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today, we investigated color filters. Scientists and Engineers use filters as a remote sensing technology to absorb light which highlights or hides information.
Key Take Away
We can use different filters to highlight different colors.
Did you know?
Since Mars is very red, planetary scientists use optical filters to highlight colors they wouldn't see or notice otherwise.