5 min. Introduction
10 min. Imagine and Plan
30 min. Create and Test
10 min. Reflect
55 min. Total
The Educator Guide has a script, materials list, and prep directions. Be sure to have it open and ready to help guide you through every activity.
* Post the Engineering Design Process poster.
* Prepare the Mystery Moon sites and Space Screens by following the instructions on pp. 51-53 iof the guide.
* Create a Materials Table with the materials listed in the guide
Data: Information that is collected through scientific investigation
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Imagine, Plan, Create, and Test
Youth apply what they have learned so far to design remote sensing devices to answer a question posed by a scientist.
* If youth have struggled with previous activities, start them with the Scientist Jaime.
* Emphasize screens model the distance between the moon and the Earth, so youth must design technologies to gather the information remotely. They may not touch the surface nor look behind the screen.
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today we used data from prior investigations to imagine, create and test how well our remote sensing technologies gather information.
Key Take Away
As engineers we can design remote sensing technologies to get information about a mystery moon from a distance.
Did you know?
Failure is a big part of the engineering design process. Engineers sometimes make mistakes on purpose so they can learn how to avoid them later when it's more crucial to get it right .