5 min. Duo Update
7 min. Set the Stage
28 min. Activity
5 min. Reflect
45 min. Total
The Educator Guide has a script, materials list, and prep directions. Be sure to have it open and ready to help guide you through every activity.
- Prep will take about 30 minutes
- Get the Duo message ready
- Set up the Materials Table
- Copy Mission Profile Images (pp. 73-77, guide)
- Prepare Mission Simulations (pp. 63, guide).
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Plan, Create, Test
Youth apply what they learned in prior adventures to plan, create, and test a space glove designed for a space mission and its associated hazards.
- Set up the Materials Table or "store" so that each materials has a display placeholder in order to track anything that runs out
- For youth who are struggling to identify good designs, return to the Testing Results Chart
Duo Message Audio File
Play this file to introduce the activity to youth.
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today we used data from prior investigations to imagine, create, and test a space glove for use in a space environment.
Key Take Away
We can engineer a glove that protects us from certain space hazards and can be used to perform mission tasks.
Did you know?
NASA held a competition in 2009 for engineers to design a better space glove and the prize was $350,000. The problem they wanted to solve was that the gloves must be pressurized against the vacuum of space, which made them very hard to move.