5 min. Introduction
5 min. Identify
20 min. Create
15 min. Test & Communicate
5 min. Reflect
55 min. Total
The Educator Guide has a script, materials list, and prep directions. Be sure to have it open and ready to help guide you through every activity. For this activity, don't forget to:
- Prepare a model antenna. Fold one index card in half widthwise and clip three binder clips to it.
- Arrange 100 index cards, a ruler, and a pair of scissors for each group on the Materials Table.
- Place 4 rolls of masking tape on the Materials Table for groups to share.
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Identify, Create, Test, Communicate
Engages youth in an engineering design challenge. Introduces an Engineering Design Process (EDP), criteria, constraints.
- Help youth see that they naturally did each of steps of the EDP as they engaged in the design challenge.
- If youth want to fix their designs, highlight the 'Improve' step on the EDP. If you don't have extra time, tell youth they will have a whole period to improve future designs in Activity 5.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Engineers use an EDP to solve problems with criteria and constraints.
Key Take Away
We are engineers!
Did you know?
Use duct tape much? You probably engineer more than you think. Anytime you design a makeshift tool because you don't have exactly what you need, you are engineering.