5 min. Introduction
10 min. Investigate
15 min. Imagine & Improve
10 min. Video
10 min. Reflect
50 min. Total
Use the Educator Guide prep section, and don't forget to:
- Post the Engineering Design Process poster.
- Copy and cut out the Technology Match Cards, pp. 13-23 of the guide: one for each student or group.
- Watch and prepare to play the Engineering Everywhere Special Report video (10:15): www.planets-stem.org.
Technology: Any thing designed by humans to solve a problem.
Remote Sensing: To collect information from a distance.
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Investigate, Imagine, Improve
Introduces youth to the definition of technology as anything humans (engineers) design to solve a problem. The Special Report Video sets the context for the entire unit.
- Don't skip the video! It sets the stage for the entire unit.
- If youth are not familiar with the technologies on the cards, have them work in groups to figure out the pairs together.
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Engineers and scientists often collaborate to design and improve technologies to solve problems.
Key Take Away
As engineers, we can design remote sensing technology to help scientists gather information from a distance.
Did you know?
People can turn almost any thing into technology, if they use it to solve a problem. A rock can be used to grind corn or shaped into an arrowhead.