5 min. Duo Update
5 min. Set the Stage
15 min. Activity
20 min. Reflect
45 min. Total
Check the Educator Guide for detailed materials prep information. Here a couple of other key reminders:
- It will take about 40 minutes to prepare for this activity
- Post the EDP Poster
- Get the Duo Message ready
- Watch and prepare to play video: www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-spacesuit-development
- Copy Stations 1-3 (pp. 25-29, guide)
- Set up stations (pp.22-23, guide).
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Youth investigate multiple glove types to determine which are better for certain tasks.
Group management strategies:
- Make bold labels for materials table
- Make bags of materials for each group rather than a materials table
- Rotate groups through stations
- Designate a volunteer to help other groups with testing and reset
Duo Message Audio File
Play these two audio tracks to introduce the activity to youth.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today we asked which common household gloves are best for certain tasks. We tested them and compared the results to answer our question.
Key Take Away
We can identify which gloves are best for various uses.
Did you know?
Many people wear gloves at work for protection from occupational hazards. Surgeons wear latex or nitrile gloves, electrical workers wear fire-resistant gloves, and professional athletes even wear gloves, like baseball mitts. Animals use different materials to protect them from hazards in their environments too like scales, feathers, blubber, and fur.