5 min. Duo Update
10 min. Set the Stage
25 min. Activity
5 min. Reflect
45 min. Total
Use the Educator Guide prep section, and don't forget to:
- Print and Post the EDP Poster
- Get the Duo message ready
- Fill 2 deli containers with water
- Set up a materials table
- Measure out 15 ft for "Send A Message" activity
- Create 2 model plants (pp. 10 in Ed. Guide)
- Preview a video about life on the ISS to show youth.
Technology: Any thing designed by humans to help solve a problem
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Ask, Imagine, Plan, Create
Youth consider the definition of technology as any thing or process humans (engineers) design to solve a problem.
- Find an alternative version of this activity at www.engineeringadventures.org/resources
- Problems #1 and #2 are the most difficult. Problem #3 is the easiest
- In wrapping up, identify each step of the EDP used in the activity
Duo Message Audio File
Play this message to introduce the activity to youth.
End of Activity Engineering Reflection
Today we asked how we can design technologies to solve everyday problems. Can you think of any other examples?
Key Take Away
Anything designed by humans to solve problems is a technology.
Did you know?
Engineers designed pens for astronauts that can write in extreme temperatures, zero gravity, and under water. Normal pens rely on gravity for the ink to flow, and pencil lead breaks into tiny sharp pieces that float around in space.