5 min. Introduction
10 min. Know the Cards
25 min. Play Card Game
5 min. Reflect
45 min. Total
The Educator Guide has a script, materials list, and prep directions. Be sure to have it open and ready to help guide you through every activity.
- Print and tape together Mitigate Hazards playmats.
- Print and cut out Decks C and D for each group of 4.
- Post the Game Rules.
- Have the educator guide on hand for S2 directions and script.
Youth are introduced to natural hazards and mitigations on Earth through a card matching game.
- Don't skip the Chance card actions; youth might respond better to kinesthetic and sensory learning than visual and auditory methods.
- If groups finish early, remove the Research and Teamwork cards and two to four mitigation cards from the deck and restart gameplay.
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
End of Activity Science Reflection
Today we learned about different natural hazards on Earth and different strategies that humans have developed to mitigate them.
Key Take Away
There are natural hazards on Earth and humans have developed ways to mitigate some of them.
Did you know?
Some natural disasters can cause other natural disasters. For instance, an earthquake can trigger a landslide, or a volcano could set off a wildfire.