Introduction: 10 min
Plan: 5 min
Create and Test: 40 min
Reflect: 5 min
60 min. Total
- Post EDP Poster
- Make 8 more filter bases, p. 37
- Post Investigation Chart, p. 32, & Quality Chart, p.48
- Create model water samples, replace "toilet" with "space toilet"
- Set up materials table: spoons, filter materials, rinsed charcoal
- Copy for each group: Water Reuse Plan, p.53
EDP Steps Used In This Activity
Plan, Create, Test
Youth apply what they learned in prior activities to design and test a water reuse process using filter materials and home piping reconfiguration.
- There are multiple correct answers.
- #1 - Mars is a basic challenge
- #3 - ISS is more advanced
- Criteria vary by Extreme Environment
- Same constraints for all: 2 filter bases
- Add materials constraint to conserve for Activity 5
Videos Related to this Activity
Science Snippet: Build your content knowledge to help answer youth's questions.
Replay the Special Report video from 3:45 to 6:30 to remind youth how engineers at Arcosanti designed a process to reuse water.
Today we used data from prior investigations to imagine, create and test a water reuse process for an extreme environment where water is scarce.
Key Take Away
We can engineer a process to improve water quality so it can be reused for other purposes.
Did you know?
Failure is a big part of the engineering design process. Engineers sometimes make mistakes on purpose so they can learn how to avoid them later when it's more crucial to get it right.